Skip to main content

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

Could We Just Not......Another Over the Hill Gal Talks About Menopause

 I was never afraid of menopause until I was in it.  Oh, sure I had heard about it my whole life.  I had seen how it seemed to affect women.....mostly in negative ways, depending on who you asked.  It's now very clear to me why many marriages break up around the time of menopause, why affairs seems to happen more often (on both sides) and why seemingly "normal" women seem to lose their minds.  In the mid 80's when The Golden Girls "Blanche" began menopause, her friends urged her to a psychiatrist.  This was after she first thinks she's pregnant, then begins eating and crying non-stop and refusing to get dressed or leave her room.   Oh, if we all only had that luxury.  And if it all came on that sudden and succinct.  No guess work. Is it peri?  Are the hormones completely gone yet?  No wondering if the cycle was really over of if it was going to play tricks on you for the next 5 years or so. If only it was all so very black and ...