Skip to main content

Books Picks: Loretta Lynn Memoirs

Okay, so I friggin loved the movie Coal Miner's Daughter when I was a kid, and I think it must have started my life-long love affair with little miss Sissy Spacek (and maybe Levon Helm too).  I was too young to realize it was probably pretty wrong for a grown man in his 20's to go so hard after a 13 year-old, but let's not get bogged down in details, people!  The story of her struggle from poverty, her climb through the country music industry and growth from little girl to a woman is inspiring. 


And then one day I realized I couldn't believe I hadn't actually read the book!  So the hubs gave it to me for my 40th birthday, and I dove right in.  The book is really lovely in that it tells the story in Loretta's "true" voice as in, it talks like she talks......hollar, not hollow.  After seeing the movie, I can't help but notice it glosses over some really ugly scenes in the movie (her wedding night would be the biggest example and maybe also an allusion to a pill addiction) and makes them seem a lot nicer than they probably should be.  But it's hard not to love Loretta with her down-to-earth simplicity and Southern mountain charm.


And so once I finished it I went on to her more recent memoir, Still Woman Enough, written in 2002.  This book is much more honest than the first and goes much more into the more difficult times in Loretta's life including troubles she ran into with promoters, producers and such; difficulties with being a mother on the road away from her children; and her long and sometimes tumultuous marriage with her husband of 50 years, "Doolittle" Lynn.  She talks about the things the movie Coal Miner's Daughter got right and got wrong and how her life changed after that. 

And so I came away feeling like I knew and understood Loretta Lynn much better than just by the cutesy 80's movie.  Because let's be real, that movie took a really inappropriate relationship and made it into a real Hollywood love story.  (And if you read the second book, you'll realize it really wasn't.) I still think Loretta may be trying to be too polite and not say all the things she'd really like to say.  Maybe if she wrote a book now it would get all her true feelings out at last!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...