Skip to main content

Netflix Pick: 20 Feet from Stardom

For a while last year, it seemed like every news source I turned to was talking about this awesome film.  I also heard the raw vocal recording of Merry Clayton belting out on "Gimme Shelter" while Mick Jagger exclaims in the background, and knew I HAD to see this. 

And I really liked it. Even if it didn't endear me to most of the singers featured.  It really just got me to thinking about how success is defined by many people.  If you're well known, make a lot of money and garner a lot of respect, then you're considered successful.  But to some, success is more measured in terms of waking up every morning and feeling good about who you are and what you do.  Accolades or not.  I really dig that attitude.

Which made me quickly fall in love with Lisa Fischer, one of the singers featured in this film.  You may not know her name, but you definitely know her voice.  She's had a lot of success.  Is well-known by the music community and performed with many of its great artists.  She even had her own solo career.  So why don't you hear her on the radio?  Well, watch the movie and you'll find out that you have.....even if you didn't know it.

I felt sad for some of the artists featured in 20 Feet because it was apparent that they felt somewhat cheated by how their musical careers just didn't pan out as they expected.  That's what I mean about not feeling endeared.  But this movie was really great at showing us the profound voices that made up the great hits of and before our time.  And that unveiling is pretty spectacular all own its own.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...