After Middlesex, I knew I would always be a fan of Jeffrey Eugenides. His storytelling in this novel is phenomenal, but I think where he captures me is with his words and descriptions. I don't know where the line is where writing is considered literary, but this has to be on that side of it. The mental health issue raised in this story was so enriching and really brought a new understanding to an illness that I have some limited personal experience with. Very New England, very early 1980's, and very thinky. Everything you'd expect from a great author like Eugenides.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments