The Olympic Games always make me feel good. They offer some kind of pure hope and belief in some very basic principles in life: good hard work and its payoff, cooperation and respect among people of differing beliefs, and simple fun and competition in all its reward. After the last few weeks of stress, it has been a welcome distraction and something E-Roc and I look forward to every night.
All of the human interest stories are great too. I have especially been on the look-out for Holley Mangold, after I saw her story on MTV's True Life. Of course, Missy Franklin and Allison Shmitt are interesting and sweet. And then there's this chica here, who should at least get a medal for speaking da truf!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/teenage-olympic-weightlifter-zoe-smith-vs-her-internet-112630959--oly.html
My favorite line in the piece:
"Apparently we're 'weird' for not constantly eating crap, binge drinking regularly and wearing the shortest, tightest dresses that the high street has to offer. Sigh…"
All I can say is, in a world dominated by Kardashians and $2000 handbags and boatloads of people who only seem to care about everything that absolutely does not matter, Amen, sista. Amen.
All of the human interest stories are great too. I have especially been on the look-out for Holley Mangold, after I saw her story on MTV's True Life. Of course, Missy Franklin and Allison Shmitt are interesting and sweet. And then there's this chica here, who should at least get a medal for speaking da truf!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/teenage-olympic-weightlifter-zoe-smith-vs-her-internet-112630959--oly.html
My favorite line in the piece:
"Apparently we're 'weird' for not constantly eating crap, binge drinking regularly and wearing the shortest, tightest dresses that the high street has to offer. Sigh…"
All I can say is, in a world dominated by Kardashians and $2000 handbags and boatloads of people who only seem to care about everything that absolutely does not matter, Amen, sista. Amen.
Comments