Skip to main content

Weekend Rewind......

The weekend was a good one, full of successes, deep thinking and a few let-downs......but such is life, wouldn't you say?

In the success department, Little Boy was so happy and good this weekend. Parent readers out there know that your kids' behavior can make or break your 2-3 days at home together, so this was a good one for us. (Only one small meltdown over the wrong television show coming on at the appointed time, and I won't hold that against him.) Otherwise, he was friendly and courteous to folks on our weekly Nature Trail walk, tried new foods, slept well and handled well the fact that the apartment was full of boxes and that his room gets more and more bare every week.

And in another success, I got more packing done and very nearly have that apartment whipped up and tied down! Just give us our closing date, and we are out the door!

Deep thinking occurred at the much-anticipated concert last night. I was happy to see and sing along with Jack, but I have to admit was a little disappointed. Night Ranger put on a great show, don't get me wrong, but it was a little too "showy" for me. Does anybody get that? Maybe I have been listening to and seeing 90's bands for just too long......the kind that wear their t-shirts from the night before and say "thank you" between songs and go right into the next. I don't know.......

I also realized two things last night that disappointed me:
1) crowded places and strange people make me nervous and very nearly unable enjoy myself in those situations anymore.....a sign of old age? social anxiety? not sure, but I didn't like the feeling or the realization of it
2) people talking bad about me and floating misinformation about me, no matter how untrue, still hurts....hurts me so much that it's hard to shrug off even with friends and good times all around me......it hurts

So I guess that was deep thinking AND disappointment......

Other than that, E-Roc enjoyed spending time with his old buddies last night, and I was glad to reconnect with them too. I have always been the kind of girl who supports male bonding, so I was glad to see him have some even if I was there too!

(And also, what is it about summer concerts that are so fun for cuddling? Even sticky with sweat and rain, I so enjoyed sitting with and hugging on my Honey Bear. But this may be another post for another time......)

Busy week ahead and much anxiety as Little Boy starts a new school and what sometimes feels like a new life so much further away from me than I would like. Very tough, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...