
I was so glad that I was able to make it out to the processional to Nic O'Brien's funeral service yesterday. I didn't expect that I would be out there when I was researching and writing about it yesterday morning, but there I was at 2 pm.....stopped in one of the busiest intersections in Gastonia. It was really moving.....to see so many people stopped and silent as a seemingly endless line of black cars, police and emergency vehicles, and motorcycles slowly moved by. Flags waved....people saluted.....some put their hands over their hearts.....some kept their heads down.....children watched in interest. In Gaston County, drivers still stop for funerals, but I had never seen anything like this before. It was the first time I have ever stopped my car, put it in park and stood out in the road to watch one go by. When I got home much later, I was glad to hear that there was no disturbance by Westboro and that many people turned out for the service to support the family. It was good.....for however good something like that can be.
And now I must quote the 5th Century Greek Historian, Herodotus who said:
In Peace, Sons bury their Fathers. In War, Fathers bury their Sons.
I wish peace and hope to all who knew this young man we have all lost.