Shopping in the big box store
And everything looks too big and too dirty.
How could anyone ever need
This many paper towels?
And I'm looking at the plastic cutlery
And trying to remember which my office mates prefer.
Is it the clear?
Is it the white?
Does any of this trivial shit really matter?
And somewhere someone is crying
Because she lost someone she cared about.
A brother?
A friend?
A son?
He was something to her
Even if he's just a punchline in a joke to you.
I catch the eye of an elderly man
That seems to look at my with a knowing smile.
Do I know him?
Or is he just creepily friendly?
I told my best friend that I thought all old white men were scary
But this man seems
Almost
Nice
Like the kind of grandpa type that would welcome you on his lap
But not in a gross old man kind of way.
I keep shopping.
Sniff in the soup aisle.
Wipe tears in the frozen foods.
Somewhere in a hospital
There's a broken girl.
Could I have helped her?
Could I have fixed her?
Could I be her?
Every other minute she is on my mind
But I push it away.
These pot pies are good
Exclaims the chubby check-out girl.
Oh really, I say
I'm just buying them for my coworker.
Her kids like them, I think.
And somewhere the clock ticks on.
And somewhere someone reads what I write
Because I'm too tired today to edit how I feel.
And she exclaims in her characteristic way
Oh, my.
I think Becky may have lost it.
But actually Becky hasn't.
She is feeling it all too too clear.
Because when you have the genetic blood of addiction
Coursing through your veins,
You don't take pills to sleep
Or to feel happy
Or to feel numb.
You don't drink to excess
Because you know you can't.
And besides all that
Somebody still has to buy the office supplies
And process the invoices
And pick up the boy
And make dinner
And pay the bills
And send the birthday cards
Because life goes on,
Even when it seems unbelievable.
And everything looks too big and too dirty.
How could anyone ever need
This many paper towels?
And I'm looking at the plastic cutlery
And trying to remember which my office mates prefer.
Is it the clear?
Is it the white?
Does any of this trivial shit really matter?
And somewhere someone is crying
Because she lost someone she cared about.
A brother?
A friend?
A son?
He was something to her
Even if he's just a punchline in a joke to you.
I catch the eye of an elderly man
That seems to look at my with a knowing smile.
Do I know him?
Or is he just creepily friendly?
I told my best friend that I thought all old white men were scary
But this man seems
Almost
Nice
Like the kind of grandpa type that would welcome you on his lap
But not in a gross old man kind of way.
I keep shopping.
Sniff in the soup aisle.
Wipe tears in the frozen foods.
Somewhere in a hospital
There's a broken girl.
Could I have helped her?
Could I have fixed her?
Could I be her?
Every other minute she is on my mind
But I push it away.
These pot pies are good
Exclaims the chubby check-out girl.
Oh really, I say
I'm just buying them for my coworker.
Her kids like them, I think.
And somewhere the clock ticks on.
And somewhere someone reads what I write
Because I'm too tired today to edit how I feel.
And she exclaims in her characteristic way
Oh, my.
I think Becky may have lost it.
But actually Becky hasn't.
She is feeling it all too too clear.
Because when you have the genetic blood of addiction
Coursing through your veins,
You don't take pills to sleep
Or to feel happy
Or to feel numb.
You don't drink to excess
Because you know you can't.
And besides all that
Somebody still has to buy the office supplies
And process the invoices
And pick up the boy
And make dinner
And pay the bills
And send the birthday cards
Because life goes on,
Even when it seems unbelievable.