Skip to main content

Life is, in Fact, Good? Heh.

Me, hugging a horse at a local watering hole a few months back. Only truly happy people can do such thing in public.



I had plans yesterday with a dear old friend that I had to break. I felt awful about it because I just don't get to spend enough time with her, and I was looking forward to catching up with her and spending time getting to know her son.


But my lost endeavor taught me a few important lessons yesterday........


1) Always follow your doctor's directions even when you've started to feel better. He has the medical degree, not you. If what he said was right 3 months ago, it still holds up today. Your bravado decisions based in dumbassery will catch up with you. (and by you, I really mean ME!)


2) Being a working mom has left me so much less time for spending time with people I care about, and I so hate that. It has also left me less time to do those "small" things I used to do for others like phone calls and regular correspondence. I have so much more respect and understanding for the working mom than I ever used to have.....and I always thought I was pretty supportive of The Working Girl. I guess it's a whole "walk a mile in her shoes" sort of thing.


3) My life is so improved from this time last year and even more improved from this time 6 months ago. And even though some people in my life will be pissed off to hear it, it is more improved from this time 3 years ago. This research leads me to believe that in general, life is on the upswing. I realized this yesterday as I was emailing my friend to explain our botched plans. I had been walking around the last 2 weeks or so feeling like everything was falling into utter crap chaos. (I blame work worries and concerns with Little Boy's end of school year meetings and summer plans.) But when I wrote out this email last night, I realized only one real problem was bothering me: money. And even though that is a big issue that can't be overlooked, it's not the ONLY thing going. Besides, who isn't in a financial crunch right now? Only a very few lucky people that I know of. (tax evasion....that's what I tell myself for my own comfort.....or solid deals with the devil)



You know how sometimes things just sound worse when you re-tell them? Well, sometimes they sound a lot better too. When I was trying to do a 6 month re-cap in the email to my old buddy, I realized I was hurting a lot less in life (both literally and figuratively) and that those t-shirts I so love may really be true....."Life is Good".



And it only took a fever, cold sweats and irrepressible exhaustion for 12 hours to figure that out. What a bargain!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...