Skip to main content

I Called Him Rocky

 One of my all-time favorite dogs crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.


His name was Rock, but I called him Rocky.  I made up a song about him to the tune of "Rocky Top".  He was a sweetheart of a boy known for his prancy little steps around the yard and a tail that swung around in a complete circle.

Rocky came to my friend as a rescue and while he hadn't necessarily had a hard life, he hadn't had a great one either.  He hadn't had a lot of outdoor time, a regimented routine or consistent caregiving.  We had the feeling he had no idea of a regular feeding or outside schedule and that he was left alone a lot.  My friend introduced him to clean, algae-free food and water bowls and we took turns feeding him by hand when he was too afraid to eat from a new bowl.

After a while a began eating, drinking, sleeping and prancing.

Soon Rocky made friends with everyone that came to visit the house including human and dog friends.  His demeanor was always so lovely and was probably one of the most gentle dogs I've ever known.

It was hard to watch Rocky decline.  He would refuse food, have staring seizures, trouble walking, obvious confusion.  Then he would perk up the next day and seem fine.  But any dog that was nearly 20 years old would behave this way.  It was not necessarily a reason to take heroic measures or change anything that was being provided to Rock.  My friend kept Rocky safe, comfortable and happy as he provided him the backyard country life Rock had never had.  He gave Rocky a sister sibling dog and many other friend dogs that visited regularly. In his last days, Rocky finally found a pack!

His last year and and half was golden and near perfect.

The last time I saw Rocky, I laid beside him on the floor and petted and sang to him.  I read that dogs like to be comforted quietly as their hearing goes, but it's also just an obvious way of caring for the vulnerable.  Like most humans, I have rocked babies and sat by the dying.  Our instincts kick in and tell our bodies what to do.  

I sang Rocky's "Rocky Top" song.  I told him I loved him.  I told him it was okay for him to go.  I told him he'd be happy and free soon.  I sang "Yesterday" just like I used to sing to my child.  And "Sweet Baby James".  That was also a favorite of my infant son.  I thanked Rocky for what he brought to me.  I told him he was special.  I told him not to be afraid.  I sang "The Long and Winding Road".  I stroked his head and held his paw.  I looked in is eyes.  I willed him to feel every comfort I could give.

I wasn't there when he actually passed, and I'm glad for that.  My goodbyes in his comfortable space were what we both needed for the relationship we had.  

Goodbye, Rocky, you beautiful soul and gorgeous animal.  As hard as the loss is, in a year of losing my best girlfriend and Dolly Parton, something about his time coming now seems almost.......right.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...