Skip to main content

Becky's 100 Favorite Movies: 2018 List Updated!

After recently chatting with an old friend, I realized how much a list from 2018 needed to be updated!  When you consider over 100 years of filmmaking, a list of 100 is pretty tough!  So this list is mainly based on rewatchability.  In other words, I may have watched a movie, loved it, but also realized I probably didn't need to see it again.  Or there may have been a movie that was a favorite at one time that I have since outgrown, didn't age well or the emotionality of it has just become too much.  

In other words, these seem to be the movies I've never managed to outgrow.

(not actual) Reader Question: May I just say for the record that I'm not sure how this blog has never posted a list of favorite movies?  I mean, you've posted favorite books and bands and even songs but not movies?  What the hey?


(actual) Blogger Response:  You're exactly right, fictional reader!  It's gonna be a task for sure....not just the listing, but the ranking.  Sheesh.  I better get started right now!


(not actual) Reader Response: You're the best, mysterious lady blogger!  Can't wait to see the list!


100) The Ghost and Mr. Chicken
99) Sideways
98) Look Who's Talking
97) Clue
96) Real Genius
94) Paul
93) The Full Monty
92) 13 Going on 30
91) Wayne's World
90) Legally Blonde
89) Frankie & Johnny
88) Rudy
87) Shakespeare in Love
86) Mission Impossible
85) Housesitter
84) Ray
83) My Big Fat Greek Wedding
82) Pee-Wee's Big Adventure
81) Barefoot in the Park
80) Terms of Endearment
79) Ghosts of Girlfriends Past
78) 200 Cigarettes
77) Half-Baked
76) Good Will Hunting
75) How to Marry a Millionaire
74) One Battle After Another
73) La Bamba
72) Copland
71) The Bird Cage
70) Cocaine Bear
69) Mean Girls
68) Courage Under Fire
67) Cousins
66) Jerry Maguire
65) Moana
64) Baby Mama
63) The Godfather II
62) Four Weddings and a Funeral
61) Clueless
60) Gone With the Wind
59) Erin Brockovich
58) White Oleander
57) Norma Rae
56) Reality Bites
55) Bridesmaids
54) Friday
53) Good Fellas
52) The Wolf of Wall Street
51) Dirty Dancing
50) Rear Window
49) Fargo
48) The Departed
47) Coal Miner's Daughter
46) Talladega Nights
45) The Runaway Bride
44) Die Hard
43) Gosford Park
42) The Illusionist
41) Whip It
40) Dangerous Liasons
39) Weekend at Bernie's (see above for subtle "Friends" reference)
38) Bridget Jones' Diary
37) Sweet Dreams
36) Deadpool vs Wolverine 
35) Singles
34) Dead Poet's Society
33) Breakfast at Tiffany's
32) The Outsiders
31) Better Off Dead
30) The Hunger Games       
29) The Muppets Take Manhattan
28) Don Juan DeMarco                           
27) Christmas Vacation
26) Stand by Me
25) It's a Wonderful Life                   
24) Crimes of the Heart
23) Dr. Zhivago                                  
22) American Gangster
21) Juno
20) Running on Empty                          
19) The Princess Bride
18) Boyz n the Hood
17) Love Actually                       
16) High Fidelity                              
15) Legends of the Fall
14) Office Space
13) P.C.U.
12) Almost Famous                        
11) Dazed and Confused
10) Flow
9) The Fugitive
8) Amelie
7) The Age of Innocence
6) Everything, Everywhere, All at Once
5) The Baxter
4) Crossing Delancey
3) The Last of the Mohicans
2) Moonstruck
1) Contact







Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...