Skip to main content

Movie Pick: One Battle After Another

 If you're looking for a timely, rebellious, insightful and insane flick.....welp.....you have found it.


And if you're like me and consider Running on Empty one of your favorite films and love books like The Company You Keep and have a lot of respect for Set It Off and Public Enemy and BLM and pretty much all things anti-government.  Yeah.  This one's for you.

And no, it is absolutely not like your typical Paul Thomas Anderson film, which by the way, are not usually my bag.  But this one......well.....even though some of the plot was fairly predictable, I was still on the edge of my seat until the last scene.  

Of course, the performances are stellar, but it's no wonder everyone is talking about Teyana Taylor.  She's like Dame Judi Dench in Shakespeare in Love.....not a lot of on-screen time, but every second of it matters. 

Of course my favorite is Benicio.  I mean, we go way back.  I haven't gotten over him since Traffic.  

I feel like this film is A Place Beyond the Pines meets The Town hangs out with Dog Day Afternoon and relaxes at night with The Gauntlet.  And if you didn't understand any of that, you need to spend some quality time with Turner Classic Movies, my friend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...