Skip to main content

Book Pick: Mike Nichols A Life

 If you're not sure who Mike Nichols is, chances are you have enjoyed at least one of his films.  I'll wait here while you check IMDB.


Mike Nichols as a director, comedian, actor, and person......each embodiment is fascinating.  He is a man who has presented his foibles, triumphs, failures and sensibilities to his audiences with each performance.

In listening to his story on audiobook (which I highly recommend for the unpretentious tone of the reader) I was intrigued by his early story of Jewish immigration to America, trying to fit in as a boy without hair and eyebrows, and how he navigated his own feelings about his parents and his new country.

I had NO idea who Nichols and May were and IMMEDIATELY had to go back and watch their old sketches.  


I was immediately jealous because I have tried to create a heterosexual writing partnership for years and have never been able to make it happen.



I also loved the honesty of this book in addressing Mike's downfalls.....his many divorces and relationship failures, his struggle with early parenthood, drug use, reckless spending of money, his need for acceptance, his ego trips.....all of it is laid bare and is incredibly relatable.....even if you're not a famous film director.



As with many film directors, Mike had a few muses.  My favorite was Meryl Streep.  They definitely had an affinity for one another that shines through and creates great work.  One of my faves is Silkwood.

And I'll be honest and say that my favorite films of his are Heartburn, Silkwood, The Birdcage and Charlie Wilson's War.  I saw The Graduate and can barely remember it.  I saw Working Girl and didn't really love it (except for Joan Cusack of course).  Sometimes there are things that just aren't made for YOU.  And that's okay.

But my absolute favorite piece of Nichols' work from stage to screen is his production of Tony Kushner's sublime play, Angels in America.  I had to go back and re-watch after finishing the chapter describing the shoot, the actors and the labor of love it took to make the HBO film.  




If you're a reader that loves Hollywood/Broadway name-dropping and still remembers who people like Elizabeth Taylor and Walter Matthau are, you will love this book.  If you're a striver who loves second chances and redemption stories, you'll probably dig it too.  And if you're a lover of stage craft, theater, and the art of film-making, you will definitely enjoy it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...