When it's cold outside, I wonder if you've zipped up your jacket. I wonder if you're looking out of windows at the snow. I wonder if you miss your mother.
When someone our age dies, I wonder if you ever stopped drinking. I wonder if you're living better. I wonder if you're trying harder.
When I see anime, I wonder if you went to school today. I wonder if you're eating enough. I wonder if the world will get wider for you.
When I hear a Southern drawl, I wonder if you're driving. I wonder if your smile is just as happy. I wonder if I'll meet you in that same parking lot.
When I see fireworks, I wonder if you remember that summer. I wonder how my heart ever healed. I wonder how I ever let you go.
When I hear The Clash, I wonder if you're still fighting the man. I wonder if you ever quit that shitty job. I wonder if you ever left home.
When I hear a baby cry, I wonder if his mother is okay. I wonder if they're both sleeping. I wonder if she needs a sister friend.
When I hear Blues Traveler, I wonder if you're still smoking. I wonder if you're all the way grey yet. I wonder if you remember that first kiss on Tremont Avenue.
When the world is dark, I wonder if you're talking to a friend. I wonder if you're reaching out for help. I wonder if you're crying alone in your room.
When I see a hippie goddess, I wonder if it turned out the way you wanted. I wonder who you're manipulating. I wonder who's your hero now.
When I eat dolmades, I wonder if you're cooking. If you're drumming. If you're laughing. If you hate me. If you wish it was different.
When it's too sunny outside I wonder if you're wearing flip-flops on your route. I wonder if you're flirting with women on the street. I wonder if you ever got slapped.
When I smell coffee, I wonder if you're writing. I wonder if you've healed. I wonder if you think of that one Christmas.
When I see a classic car, I wonder if you remember that first date. I wonder if your eyes are still as blue. I wonder why I was never enough.
When I hear Taylor Swift, I wonder why you're so angry. I wonder why you're never satisfied. I wonder why you were so hard on me.
When I see a moppy kid, I wonder how you might have turned out. I wonder how it would have changed us. I wonder if life would have been easier.
When I hear a Kingsbridge accent, I wonder if you're having a beer. I wonder if you're still a mad devil. I wonder if you remember me.
When I see The Big Book, I wonder if you're still sober. I wonder if you ever found peace. I wonder if you realized you used people too.
When it snows, I wonder if you're watching through windows. I wonder if you have a warm body beside you. I wonder if you have books piled up on your nightstand.
When I see a toddler in the park, I wonder if I was the best I could be. I wonder why it went by so fast. I wonder if why it was harder for us.
When I think of Delaware, I wonder if you ever got married. I wonder if you still have your hair. I wonder how we could have survived that year without each other.
When I smell raw tobacco, I remember those swampy gnats. I wonder if kids still buy all those books. I wonder if your parents are still alive.
And when I see spectacles tilted down on the nose. I wonder. I wonder if you died in a peaceful place. And when I hear my name. Rebecca. I wonder if anyone will ever say it that way again.
Comments