Winter is the perfect time to snuggle in with some entertainment. Even though I haven't been reading much lately, I have managed to binge some good shows and catch a few new films. What are your thoughts on my hot takes?
I saw "Wicked" the week it came out and I was in love! Being a lover of the novel from way back, I was intrigued to see how this was adapted from the book to stage to theater and all of it is wonderful! The songs are lovely and fun and even though the film is long, I never wanted it to end.
I caught "The Greatest Showman" at home on a streaming service and loved it too. Just like Wicked, the songs and overarching story guide a principle of love and acceptance and in the creation of a world inhabited by creativity and brilliance. And there's Zendaya!
I wish I could say I loved "Juror #2" but I just didn't. The cast was wonderful, but the story felt plodding and ham-fisted. And was I the only one screaming at the guy to just STFU?
Hulu's "Night Bitch" was another one that didn't sit right with me. Listen, I love mothers and motherhood. And those early days of being consumed with a toddler are certainly relatable. But there's something about the Millennial Generation that unsettles me in the way they view their sacrifices and personal identity. Even moms who aren't "important artists" experience PPD. And news flash, splitting up a family won't make your work load easier. That should be a no-brainer.

"A Complete Unknown" was a totally different story. I loved every bit of it. It could have gone on for another hour for me. And yes, we see Bob as an asshole. Because he IS an asshole! I loved his unbound love for Woody and his mere tolerance for Pete. I loved his difficulty in love and in figuring out who he was. I loved as Sylvie (Suze) watched with tears in her eyes as Bob sang "It Ain't Me" with Joan. I loved the famous tie-in's and folk in-fighting. I loved, loved every bit of it. The friend I was watching with leaned over and said "will you teach me Bob Dylan". Yes, darling. You know I will.

Cuteness abounds in Tig Notaro's "One Mississippi" on Prime. Nothing could top the utter sweetness of Tig and her real-life wife, Stephanie Allyne, in this down-home, you only get one family kind of dramedy. I love watching Tig's brother and step-father break down their own walls while watching Tig fight for herself and others. My favorite scene is when all the victims (mostly women) are rising in the cemetery and telling their stories of abuse. It made me think of old friends and lovers and wish I could have done more for them.
Less pretty and cute, but full or humor and truth is "Drink, Smoke, Snort, Stroke...." which I'm currently listening to on audiobook. I love a good addiction story told with humor and humility and this one definitely has those features. And the charming "Kiwi" accent doesn't hurt.
As winter continues, which has been more harsh and cold than usual here Down South, I'm going to keep up my viewing endeavors while doing what the animals do! And believe me, I have the blankets, jammies and hot toddies to keep it going for at least 6 -8 more weeks......
Comments