Skip to main content

Winter: The Season for Us Grown Folks

 I know, I know.  Most people don't really dig winter.  And when I was a kid, I didn't either.  I thought winter was boring.  The cold temperatures limited my wardrobe, the early dark hours limited my fun times and there was never much going on outside the house.

But that's kid stuff, y'all.  Winter as an adult ROCKS!

First of all, there are TONS more activities than there used to be both inside and outside.  Those huge industrial heat lamps keep outdoor porches toasty even in January!  AND  a nice cocktail will always warm your dusty old bones!


And if you live in the Southeastern US like I do, it never gets all that cold.  Throughout the winter months there are still plenty of activities indoors and out: breweries, festivals, music, skating, movies, etc.  You just throw on that cute scarf and go for it!  


You can make yourself treats you may not have any other time of year!  Rich desserts, sugary coffee drinks and cookie bars.  Thick stews and chili beans!  You don't need to worry about that swimsuit!  The pool is miles and miles away!  Indulge!  Pack on that winter adipose protection just like the Alaskan bears!  


Did I mention homemade casseroles with lots of cheesy and crumbly bits?  Do you eat salads in the winter?  Of course not.  Bleh!



There are adult arcades and museums, indoor putt-putt courses and very cold football games!  There are art shows, comic book trades, craft expositions, adult recreation classes, ornament making, green witching seminars......c'mon now.....there is errrrrthang!  And what's even better is, you do all that without the disgusting sticky July heat!  What's not to love!  


Can you go to the coldest game in Panther BOA Stadium history in the middle of summer?  No, Sir.  No, you cannot! (December 24, 2022 temperature at time of kickoff: a balmy 20 degrees)


And of course there are blankets......piles and piles of blankets!  There are soft pillows and soft sweatsuits and sweaters.  There are warm socks and fluffy scarves.  There are boots (with the fur!) and buttery soft leggings!  There are even couches and beds you can bury your little face in!


There are hoodies!  There are so, so many hoodies!  And if like me, you don't have a man to steal from, chances are he left at least a few behind.  Tee hee.


And what do you do under all those wonderous blankies?  Well, of course there are books.....so many books.  And i-pads.  And old-fashioned crossword puzzles with ink pens.  And adult coloring books.  HAVE YOU EVER HAD AN ADULT COLORING BOOK?????  And of course, if you're lucky, there are cuddles and romance and kisses.  


And here's a bonus you didn't consider.....your makeup and hair stay flawless!  There's no thick mist of Carolina humidity as soon as you walk out the door.  You are a Beauty Queen from December to March! 



And did I mention books?  There are always books! And photo albums, glossy magazines and trading cards.  There's Netflixing and Chilling and Turner Classic movies and sitcoms that still have laugh tracks.  There are true crime murder series.  Hear that, white girls?  Your fave thing!!!!


And there's trivia nights, bingo and paint and sip parties!  There's acoustic music nights and tribute bands in small bars and clubs.  There's friends you haven't seen in years and records you haven't played in decades.  There's bands getting back together and reunion shows.  


The fact is, you can stay in and hibernate or you can venture out and live it up!  No, I'm not getting paid by some kind of Winter Wonderland Tourist Association!  I'm just reminding you that life doesn't begin and end with the summer.  For kids, maybe, because they live and die by the school calendar.  But not us, my grown peeps and empty-nesters.....NOT US!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...