I have so many feelings about this memoir.
Given that I was also a "Mommy Blogger" at the same time as the author, I well remember the "oh isn't it so fun being a tipsy mom" mentality of the time. And I didn't dig it. Having been a social drinker since college, I have never felt (and never will feel) that being intoxicated or on drugs while caring for children is okay.
With that said, I'm not trying to say I don't understand the following:
post-partum depression
child care stress
loneliness as a stay-at-home parent
pre-existent diagnosis of anxiety and/or depression
addiction
I appreciate the candor of Wilder-Taylor's story. And I congratulate her on her sobriety. However, I have a little trouble with her lackadaisical view of addiction including her own. (As a sufferer of migraines I feel like I can say this: going through 100 pills in a week is an addiction whether you are willing to call it that or not.)
And I also continue to be annoyed by parents who partner drinking just a little too closely to their kids' activities, i.e., you should NOT be drinking on the soccer field even if you are concealing it.
To my mind, this casual wine-drinking-childcare-life of the early 00's has reaped its own punishment that we are all seeing now. I hope that we have all learned our lessons. I know I have.

Comments