Skip to main content

The Middle-Age Come-Apart

 I turned 49 this year.

And then suddenly I seemed to fall apart.

Now I have more doc appointments than I have dinner dates.  Now I show up early at medical professional suites to drop off or pick up tools and medications.  Now I check and update "My Chart" every day.  Now I think about my insurance deductible.

Now I think everything has changed.  

I walk into my orthopedic office and I compare my limp and hobble to everyone else's.  Well surely, I think, I'm walking better than they are.

I tell myself I don't need any sort of ambulatory device and that my problem is temporary as I lean on a rail, a step, a stump.....whatever can give me support as I try my hardest to stand for as long as I can.  

I drag into my pulmonary appointments, which have nothing to do with my orthopedic problems by the way, and wonder if I'll be pulling an oxygen tank behind me one day like so many of the patients I see around me.  

I try to make small talk with the sweet nurse lady conducting my breathing test.  I see the abbreviation COPD on my file.  I wonder, I say out loud, how a non-smoker can have COPD at my age?  Could be lots of things, she says casually as she adjusts the mechanisms of the machine that will test my lungs.  Lots of people get it from working in cotton mills years ago.  Lot of nail techs and hairdressers.  You'd be surprised.

I've never done any of those things.  I keep that to myself.  

All of this medical pain and suffering has caused me to reflect on my life though.

I never played sports or participated in any kind of "dangerous" activity.  I started working when I was 16 years old and stood on my feet for 10 hour days.  I worked in restaurants and managed young children as a college girl.  I gave birth to a special needs child that required and continues to require ongoing care.  I've always moved quickly on my feet, speeding around, sitting down very little, jumping up for every need.  I've mowed the lawn, moved furniture, had rigorous sex, held difficult yoga poses, sat on the floor, carried heavy boxes, asked for very little help with all.....

Have I hurt myself unintentionally?

And all of these pains speak nothing to my faulty lungs.

There is no way the occasional cocktail cigarette put me in this COPD predicament.  So I can't help but wonder if I just got lucky.

But lately.  I'm wondering more and more often if I'm being punished for something.  

Here I am.  Age 49.  Recent empty-nester.  Divorced twice.  Mother of a special needs child. Staring down the barrel of bad lungs and faulty left leg.

It's hard not to feel like something has gone awry.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...