The deaths of two local heroes in my community have really got me thinking. They were the epitome of "regular guys" doing great things and bringing a lot of happiness to others. They weren't politicians or beat cops or firefighters. They weren't curing cancer or scaling Everest. They were guys bringing joy and love to every day life. The kind of men you could sit and chat with and learn something from while you were doing it. They were pure and honest and real.
Dan Wade is credited for making huge moves with bringing craft beer culture to Charlotte. He was part owner and brewmaster for Wooden Robot who was known for his zeal for life, dedication to his business and was described by friends and customers as "pure joy".
When he died suddenly and tragically, he left behind a wife, a newborn son and a wealth of friends and family who loved and respected him. But he also leaves successful businesses and a model for going forward that will serve the enjoyment of many. To say his legacy will live on in Charlotte is an understatement.
Randy Herring was a well-known long-time tattoo artist in Gastonia. He was credited as the first ink for a lot of peeps (including myself). His shop, Skin Art, was a place that people would travel to from miles around for their work. He was known for his "heavy hands" and boy can I attest to that! He had an old school grandpa vibe that touched my heart. I'm forever grateful for my time in his chair.
Randy left behind a swath of friends, family, fans, children and grandchildren that loved him. He was a mentor to young artists. And his art walks around on the bodies of people all over North and South Carolina. But more than that, he was a sweet, kind man that left his gifts on all the folks he touched. Literally.
These days, every gain and loss settles heavily on my heart. People I know well, people I barely know.....even celebrities. Their loss folds me inward and makes me consider so much. They're telling me their secrets......live your life.....take the trip.....say how you feel. They're teaching me, even after they've gone.
Last year, my young cousin died. I barely knew her and hadn't seen her in years. But her death hit my heart so hard. I had dreams about walking through orchards with ripe fruit on the ground. I suddenly got the money and gumption to rebuild my back deck, so I could sit outside. Now when I'm out there, I don't think there's a day that goes by that I don't think of her.
Yesterday, at a doc appointment, I heard a voice that sounded like my late Mam-Maw's. I just sat there and listened.....and allowed my mind to drift in and out imagining it was her.
All I can say is, gentle readers, take life's gifts. Drink them, feel them, touch them, live in them. Say the things, do the things, and live your life for you.
And be grateful for men like Dan and Randy for the part they played.
And for the cousin you didn't even know you'd miss as much as you do.
And for the time and opportunities we all still have.







Comments