I just felt I had to answer the call back when this list was posted by my favorite local morning radio personalities: Bob & Sheri. It was actually completed by Max & Todd who are loveable guys on the show with wonderful laughs and jokes and fairly good taste in music.
And for the most part, I agree with the list.....well up until the 90's maybe. But I still had to make my own list. Hello? Have we met? Do you read this blog? Do you KNOW my feelings about music?
Grant it, I'm not always much into what other people might call romantic songs, but isn't romance like beauty? All in the eye (or ear) of the beholder? Yeah, I thought so too....
1960's
1. "Bring It On Home to Me" by Sam Cooke
A man pleading for his lady to come back home. Sexy, romantic and pleading. Sam at his best before he died much too young.
2. "Lay, Lady, Lay" by Bob Dylan
Probably the most well-known track of Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" masterpiece. C'mon and "lay across my big brass band" Bob pleads. Once again a man is making a simple plea, but there's a lot of love behind it too.
1970's
3. "So Into You" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section
You may not hear this and think it's a very romantic song, but I'm telling ya.....there's nothing more romantic than a dude telling you that he's "into you". Believe me.
4. "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" by Lou Rawls
Philly Soul? Yeah, that is a thing and would not be complete if not for the soulful deep rumble of the great Lou Rawls.
1980's
5. "Woman" by John Lennon
A beautiful song about forgiveness that John wrote to his wife Yoko on his last album before he died. Timeless and profound.
6. "Pictures of You" by The Cure
You were expecting "Just Like Heaven" right? Well, that's a good one too, but it can't beat this. I can only listen to this when I really feel emotionally okay......it really does carry that much weight with me.
1990's
7. "Stars" by Simply Red
Just a pretty simple song about how much he wants to fall in love. Mick Hucknall had a voice that inspired many romances in the 80's and 90's.....probably still does.
8. "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" by Pearl Jam
You won't all get it and you don't have to. It's about love left behind and reclaimed. If you lived it, you'll know there's nothing sweeter.
2000's
9. "I Try" by Ben Taylor
The better known version is the screamy one by Macy Gray in 1999, but Ben Taylor's quiet tune (yes, he's James Taylor's son) is just so lovely.
10. "Realize" by Colbie Cailat
Take the chance! Don't let love pass you by!
2010's
11. "Blunderbuss" by Jack White
Such a beautiful song full of imagination and whimsy. I don't even know what all the words mean, but I dig it.
12. "Something Just Like This" by Coldplay
Chris Martin is basically telling you he doesn't want a superhero.....just you. Can't beat that!
Not a lot of over-the-top ballads with big booming female voices or too sweet lyrics. Not really my style. Also, I just can't with Ed Sheeran. Sorry, ya'll......
And for the most part, I agree with the list.....well up until the 90's maybe. But I still had to make my own list. Hello? Have we met? Do you read this blog? Do you KNOW my feelings about music?
Grant it, I'm not always much into what other people might call romantic songs, but isn't romance like beauty? All in the eye (or ear) of the beholder? Yeah, I thought so too....
1960's
1. "Bring It On Home to Me" by Sam Cooke
A man pleading for his lady to come back home. Sexy, romantic and pleading. Sam at his best before he died much too young.
2. "Lay, Lady, Lay" by Bob Dylan
Probably the most well-known track of Dylan's "Nashville Skyline" masterpiece. C'mon and "lay across my big brass band" Bob pleads. Once again a man is making a simple plea, but there's a lot of love behind it too.
1970's
3. "So Into You" by the Atlanta Rhythm Section
You may not hear this and think it's a very romantic song, but I'm telling ya.....there's nothing more romantic than a dude telling you that he's "into you". Believe me.
4. "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" by Lou Rawls
Philly Soul? Yeah, that is a thing and would not be complete if not for the soulful deep rumble of the great Lou Rawls.
1980's
5. "Woman" by John Lennon
A beautiful song about forgiveness that John wrote to his wife Yoko on his last album before he died. Timeless and profound.
6. "Pictures of You" by The Cure
You were expecting "Just Like Heaven" right? Well, that's a good one too, but it can't beat this. I can only listen to this when I really feel emotionally okay......it really does carry that much weight with me.
1990's
7. "Stars" by Simply Red
Just a pretty simple song about how much he wants to fall in love. Mick Hucknall had a voice that inspired many romances in the 80's and 90's.....probably still does.
8. "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" by Pearl Jam
You won't all get it and you don't have to. It's about love left behind and reclaimed. If you lived it, you'll know there's nothing sweeter.
2000's
9. "I Try" by Ben Taylor
The better known version is the screamy one by Macy Gray in 1999, but Ben Taylor's quiet tune (yes, he's James Taylor's son) is just so lovely.
10. "Realize" by Colbie Cailat
Take the chance! Don't let love pass you by!
2010's
11. "Blunderbuss" by Jack White
Such a beautiful song full of imagination and whimsy. I don't even know what all the words mean, but I dig it.
12. "Something Just Like This" by Coldplay
Chris Martin is basically telling you he doesn't want a superhero.....just you. Can't beat that!
Not a lot of over-the-top ballads with big booming female voices or too sweet lyrics. Not really my style. Also, I just can't with Ed Sheeran. Sorry, ya'll......