In continuing with trying to see all the films of my acting god, Daniel Day-Lewis, I had to check out this film which earned him his first Oscar and proved to everyone what real "method acting" was when he refused to break character, stayed in his wheelchair at all times and was spoon-fed by the film crew. This film celebrates the life of Christy Brown, a man born in Ireland in 1932 with cerebral palsy and paralysis who became renowned for his work as a painter and writer who worked only using the toes of his left foot. This is another film which made me grateful for the times I live in with a special needs child. It also made me grateful that I have a husband that respects modern birth control.....hooooweeee.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
