Hollywood Treasure and America's Sweetheart....Melissa Gilbert is one of those actresses that kind of transcended the screen and became a part of the culture. While her book came out in 2009 and she's had some life changes since then, it is still a moving and honest picture of the life of a woman who we all feel like we know.
For starters, who didn't love Half Pint? I watched Little House every day after school and felt certain that Laura Ingalls and I would have been good friends....in this century, of course.....I don't think I could have worked with an outhouse. The dirt on her costars was fun and her love of Michael Landon was apparent. Her lack of love for Melissa Sue Anderson made me laugh though....I think I knew it all along!
And after all those tenny bopper rags my mom bought me at the grocery store, how did I never know that she and Rob Lowe dated on and off for years? And were engaged? To be fair, they were just a little older than me, but still! Her Hollywood escapades and celeb stories fed my gossip fiend and reminded me of how fun the 80's must have been in LA. To have been the gal pal of all those guys in The Outsiders? Swoon......
Her struggles with substance, relationships and coping with learning the details of her adoption were sad to read, but I really admire her bravery in sharing. I also felt a twinge of sisterhood in some of her custody issues with her oldest son. I found myself rooting for Melissa and even sent her an email to tell her how much I loved her and her book. Hey, that's what us fan girls do. Rock on, Half Pint, rock on.



