"And now I'm glad I didn't know
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance....."
The way it all would end, the way it all would go
Our lives are better left to chance
I could have missed the pain
But I'd have had to miss the dance....."
(The Dance, Garth Brooks, 1989)
There are lots of movies about aliens and making contact. Some are violent. Some are scary. Some are complicated. The best ones, to my mind, are the ones that make you think well beyond aliens.
Who are we? What do we want from each other? What are we afraid of? How do we handle people and ideas that are different from us? Would we hurt them? Would we try to learn from them? Would we be afraid or curious? What chances would we take? Now take all of these questions directed toward alien contact and direct them toward yourself and your life. Do that, and you have Arrival.
There were a lot of similarities to Contact, one of my all-time favorite films. There's a strong, brilliant female lead. There's end-of-world perception. There's loss. I think Carl Sagan would be okay with this film being compared to his book-turned-movie of Contact. Interstellar could also be compared to this film and was also not a let-down. All of these films are deep and thinky and will stay with you well after the movie ends.
To me, each of these movies used connections to aliens as a means of talking about something much bigger. In Contact, it was mainly religion. In Interstellar, it was mainly family. In Arrival, it was about choices. Would you take the risk for learning? Would you do it all again if you knew how it would end? If you're interested in expanding your mind and have ever considered any of these questions, all of these movies are for you.



