The Hardworking Southern Peach Farmer vs. Early-Spring Enthusiasts:
A Crisis of Conscience and Fruit (AKA: The Essay Not GOOD ENOUGH for McSweeney's)
Recently across the Carolinas, we’ve experienced a spate of warm, spring-like weather. This occurrence isn’t uncommon for this fairly mild winter area, but it still brings the joy of surprise every year. There’s nothing quite like the joy of wearing flip-flops in February! However, not everyone revels in the mirth of the early spring. Especially farmers. Particularly peach farmers. Being that I have the rare opportunity to consult and talk with peach farmers on a regular basis (quite the coup, I know) I’ve come to expect just what they’ll say in the course of a typically mundane discussion about weather:
Me: How ‘bout this weather we’re having? Pretty mild for February, huh?
Peach Farmer: Sure is. Not good for the peaches though, I’ll tell you what.
This discussion, while ending benevolently, always leaves me feeling a bit bereft and dare I say, guilty. How dare I yearn for the early spring that Punxatawny Phil sometimes promises? How could I expect those early jonquils across Southern lawns? All the while the hardworking peach farmers are fretting over the demise of their crops? How selfish of me! These thoughts prey on my mind and begin to pepper my thoughts like peach slivers on a fresh summer arugula salad.
Coworker: Isn’t this weather fabulous? I may sunbathe this weekend!
Me: Yes, but it’s no good for the peaches! Don’t you want peaches this summer? Don’t you???
After a few of these conversations, I notice that friends and acquaintances begin avoiding me on the topic of weather. It has become touchier than the recent elections!
Friend: Girl, don’t you love this warm weather? I’ve been wearing sandals to work this week!
Me: Sure, but I hope you like those sandals more than you like peaches! You do like peaches, don’t you? Don’t you?????
Once the weather conversations have come to an instantaneous halt, I have to get creative. I must help save the peaches! Don’t people know about the peaches? What about the peaches?
Waiter: And what kind of dressing for your salad, ma’am?
Me: Salad? Salad, sir? You ask me about salad? Do you care nothing of the peaches?
I have to find new restaurants! I have to find new friends! I have to find a new yoga instructor, employer, grocery check-out clerk, webmaster, dog walker, babysitter and arborist! (Actually, the arborist is quite understanding of my peach concerns. We’re talking about an autumn engagement.)
My mother: Your father is considering opening the pool early what with this early spring.
Me: Really, mother? Really? Haven’t you done enough to stunt me by making me take that tap class when I was 10? Do you care nothing of the peaches, mother?
My therapist tries to help. My mechanic tries. My guru, my 3rd grade teacher, my cube mate, my UPS delivery guy.
Older lady waiting on bus stop bench: Beautiful weather, isn’t it, dear? I do fret about the peaches though.
Finally, finally, someone understands. If you need me, I’ll be at Ms. Doris Lawson’s home at 83 West Peachtree Street in Gaffney. She gets it. She is on fire for the peaches like me. Our friendship may look unusual to some, but it is forged in the fire and comradery of fruit. I hope you’ll visit us in July. There will be pie.....well......here's hoping!
(P.S. No hard feelings to McSweeney's. Well, maybe some.)