I was never a Riot Grrrl. Even though I came of age in the 90's. Even though I consider myself a Feminist. Even though I like all variations of rock including punk and grunge. I have always been more of an Indigo Girls feminist than a Bikini Kill feminist. (There's a big difference, believe me.)
So since I'm somewhere between riot grrrl and quiet girl, I missed out on learning about Kathleen Hanna. This film filled in the blanks. She was and is an inspiring figure. I love her "girls to the front" attitude. But she also wore me out a little bit. However, I look around and think a role model like her would be awesome right now because it doesn't really look like there is one for this generation. Of course, I'm smart enough to know there probably is one out there in the underground that I don't know about. I think I actually know a few in the local underground scene.
At any rate, empowerment is never a bad idea so big snaps to Kathleen for that. I think I just don't have enough anger to be a riot grrrl, but it's great to have a place to channel it if I did. I think this stance and the music behind it are waaaay more beneficial to young women than Katie Perry or Tove Lo (sorry, girls). I think Feminism means something to different to every generation though, to be fair.
