These days I almost forget about how much Gwen Stefani used to mean to me. She was a girl I used to know. I think I knew her pretty well. She was fun and interesting and I loved her. Sometimes I wanted to be her.
It's not as if I didn't wear out Tragic Kingdom back in the day. It was 1996 and I finally had a car with a cassette player. I was so happy. I was a senior in college and I didn't know anyone that didn't hold "Don't Speak" as their sad breakup song.
But over the years, just like friends from college tend to do, I lost touch with Gwen. Sure, I would hear different things about her. Sometimes I questioned her choices.
I wasn't ever sure that Gavin was really right for her, but then I thought, I wasn't being fair. I didn't really know him. They were cute together and seemed happy.
And then every time they had another kid, I'd think, damn Gwen! You keep having 'dem babies!
Over time, I felt like Gwen and I had less and less in common.
And then one day, from out of nowhere it seems, everybody is all up in Gwen's shit. The hell? They're either so happy for her or so mad. They can't believe she split up with Gavin. They're accusing her of cheating with Blake. They love Blake. They hate Blake. They love Gwen. They hate her. What about Miranda? What about Gavin?
I just stopped for a minute and thought, heh, I haven't heard from Gwen in so long. I stopped keeping in touch and so did she. I just hope she's happy. No matter what, she'll always hold a place in my heart. Even if we've gotten so far apart. Gwen, I still love you, girl.
(If this sounds at all familiar to you, call or write to your old besties. They're thinking of you too.....)
It's not as if I didn't wear out Tragic Kingdom back in the day. It was 1996 and I finally had a car with a cassette player. I was so happy. I was a senior in college and I didn't know anyone that didn't hold "Don't Speak" as their sad breakup song.
But over the years, just like friends from college tend to do, I lost touch with Gwen. Sure, I would hear different things about her. Sometimes I questioned her choices.
I wasn't ever sure that Gavin was really right for her, but then I thought, I wasn't being fair. I didn't really know him. They were cute together and seemed happy.
And then every time they had another kid, I'd think, damn Gwen! You keep having 'dem babies!
Over time, I felt like Gwen and I had less and less in common.
And then one day, from out of nowhere it seems, everybody is all up in Gwen's shit. The hell? They're either so happy for her or so mad. They can't believe she split up with Gavin. They're accusing her of cheating with Blake. They love Blake. They hate Blake. They love Gwen. They hate her. What about Miranda? What about Gavin?
I just stopped for a minute and thought, heh, I haven't heard from Gwen in so long. I stopped keeping in touch and so did she. I just hope she's happy. No matter what, she'll always hold a place in my heart. Even if we've gotten so far apart. Gwen, I still love you, girl.
(If this sounds at all familiar to you, call or write to your old besties. They're thinking of you too.....)







