This novel provides a fictionalized account of the Mountain Meadows massacre which occurred in Utah in 1857. I had never heard of this event until I read the book, but I have always been intrigued by the Mormon influence in our past and present culture here in America. The story is told through the eyes of 3 of John Lee's 18 or so wives and actually taught me quite a bit about The Principle of plural marriage within the Mormon faith. It's also interesting to think about how hard the Mormons are still trying, to this day, to make their religion acceptable to the rest of us. But as long as there are characters like Warren Jeffs still walking around, I think they'll always have a hard go of swaying public opinion.
This novel provides a fictionalized account of the Mountain Meadows massacre which occurred in Utah in 1857. I had never heard of this event until I read the book, but I have always been intrigued by the Mormon influence in our past and present culture here in America. The story is told through the eyes of 3 of John Lee's 18 or so wives and actually taught me quite a bit about The Principle of plural marriage within the Mormon faith. It's also interesting to think about how hard the Mormons are still trying, to this day, to make their religion acceptable to the rest of us. But as long as there are characters like Warren Jeffs still walking around, I think they'll always have a hard go of swaying public opinion.

Comments