I honestly thought this movie was going to be a quirky southern dramedy kinda like Steel Magnolias or Crimes of the Heart.
Boy, was I wrong. This movie is depressing as hell.
But I will say that the cast is excellent and the story is relatable. The movie screens like a play because it's based on one, so there's that kind of pacing for one thing. And my husband often says that people like to be sad, so that may be one reason why people like it.
I could actually relate to some of the subject matter because like most people I do have some yucky stuff in my family.
The biggest theme, at least to me, was how a parent passes the bad shit they got from their parents onto their kids. And so on and so on. Like Meryl Streep's character, my mother was raised by a bad mother. Lucky for me, it made my mother strive against that instead of going with the flow.
Very, very lucky for me. I guess that's why my sister and I are relatively well-adjusted and happy instead of completely fucked up like these siblings.
Ironically, when I flipped this movie off, another mother issues movie was on cable: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. Another movie I hated, by the way.
Here's another irony, I put the disc to the side so I could ask my mom if she would like to borrow it when I see her tomorrow. Because even though I hated this movie, SHE will probably love it.
Mothers, daughters, family, life, irony. It goes on and on.
