Okay, generalist rant over, back to this guy.
First off, I have to say that I love Nash's work with The Hollies and CSN and CSNY. I love his songwriting and his harmonies. I appreciate his commitment to the environment. I empathize with his impoverished childhood and his friendship with a drug addict.
But there's something about him.......I don't know.......that's just a little too egotistical for me. And I've found this when I've read about many male musicians: Sting, George Harrison, Eric Clapton, Nikki Sixx, , Duff McKagan, etc. But I'm guessing that's why they've sold and made millions and didn't just hang out playing in run-down local clubs. The ego.
But I did like filling in the gaps of knowledge of all the things I've read and heard about CSNY, the Laurel Canyon scene and the strange myriad of characters during those times. They created a complex and interesting world that has become the folklore of interested people like me born around and shortly after that time. And for his contribution, I have to at least be grateful to Graham Nash for that.

Comments