This book became my mission to finish because unfortunately, at least to me, it wasn't interesting enough to want to stay with. The story set in a 1920's Prohibition Era New York police precinct has enough unique details....you would think......but there was something about the plodding measure of its telling that wore me down. I only really engaged in the last 50 or so pages, but I will admit that the ending confused me. I still don't know which end of this "single-white-female-black-swan" storyline the narrator comes out on. I think there is a movie in the works for this, so maybe I will give that a try and let it help me figure it all out. I usually don't need that much help!
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments