Skip to main content

Friday Playlist #13: Best (and worst) Christmas Tunes

Aaah, Christmas music.  I love it and I hate it.  At first, it's fun to hear.  Then it becomes the never-ending repetition of hell!  I read an article that said the reason not everyone likes Christmas music is because a lot of it is so sad and heartbreaking that it brings up a lot of bad and bitter feelings in people.   Ye-aah.  That, and the fact that it plays from November 27 until January 3rd!

But all of that being said, there are still some really good Christmas/holiday songs out there.  And even though I'm not religious, I still have a few picks that are both secular and non-secular.

And Merry/Happy Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa/Ramadan/Winter Solstice/Day of Your Choice to You!!!!


I'll Be Home for Christmas                                            Bing Crosby      

Last Christmas                                                               Wham  
(probably shouldn't admit that I like it, but I do)

Santa Claus is Coming to Town                                      The Jackson 5
(my dad used to sing this version when I was a kid)

Angels We Have Heard On High

All I Want for Christmas Is You                                         Mariah Carey
(in one of my fave Christmas flicks, Love Actually)

The Christmas Song                                                           Dave Matthews Band

Up on the Housetop                                                             Gene Autry

Oh Come, All Ye Faithful

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow                                     Dean Martin

Winter Wonderland                                                               Annie Lenox

Holly Jolly Christmas                                                            Burl Ives     
(a Little Boy fave)

O Holy Night

Little St. Nick                                                                          The Beach Boys


And I'm sorry, I hope I don't offend, but I also have to list my least favorite Christmas songs.  I'm talking about the ones that make me cringe at the first note.  And yes, even though they may have been sung by many different people, these are the particular artists I'm holding responsible.


Rockin Around the Christmas Tree                                               Brenda Lee
(everyone loves it but me, just can't deal with her voice)

Little Drummer Boy                                                                       Bob Segar
(is he celebrating or killing himself?)

Do They Know It's Christmas                                                         Band Aid
(well meaning, Bob Geldof, but the lyrics are terrible)

Please Come Home for Christmas                                                  The Eagles
(anything they do is pretty much wrong)

Step Into Christmas                                                                          Elton John 
(just kinda stupid)

Santa Claus is Coming to Town                                                       Bruce Springsteen
(seriously, is he about to have an aneurysm?)

Happy Christmas (War is Over)                                                 John Lennon and Yoko Ono 
(once great, now just howling with his wife)

Wonderful  Christmastime                                                       Paul McCartney and Wings  
(ditto)


And then I have the following songs which are either so stupid or so awful-sounding, they just never should have been thought up, written down or recorded.


Dominick, the Italian Christmas Donkey                          Lou Monte

I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas                              Gayla Peevey

Nuttin for Christmas                                                           Barry Gordon

Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer                             Elmo & Patsy


All I Want for Christmas is My Two Front Teeth               Spike Jones


And yes, before you ask, all of these songs exist.  If you've never heard them, I'm sure these last 5 will be playing in hell.  On repeat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...