Skip to main content

Boyz N the Hood 20 Year Anniversary



It's hard to believe Boyz N the Hood was released 20 years ago this summer. A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same. Ice Cube might be making kids movies now, but he is still probably best known as "Doughboy" by many. This movie has so much: friendship, pain, loss, violence, poverty, adolescence.....and it's so so rich in all these things. I cry and feel moved every time I see it, and that has been MANY times now.

And even though the subject matter of this film is so serious, it still manages to have some great light moments and dialogue that anyone who's seen it will recognize right away.

Betta take yo ass to da sto wit dat!

You aint' a virgin, is ye? Is ye?

You may be cute. But you're not special.

I ain't no criminal. I can read!

Young brother, I think you can do anything you put your mind to.

But the E-Roc and I agree, that is has one of the coolest fathers in any movie of any genre ever: Furious Styles. You have to see it to know what I mean, but if more kids had dads like Furious, there would probably be a lot less trouble and heartache in the world.

If you haven't already, see it. If you have, watch it again for the nostalgia of 20 years gone by. And better yet, watch it with someone you knew 20 years ago, and see how much you've learned since then......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...