
I am totally wrapped up in Possessed: The Life of Joan Crawford. Most people only know her for her wild unmotherly antics portrayed in Mommie Dearest. And that's really a shame because there was so much more to this woman who was one of the first movie starlets and then one of the first movie star queens. By drawing on her impoverished childhood, she pretty much invented Method Acting before there was even such a thing! I have been most intrigued learning about the early practices of the film studios and how controlling they were of their talents' lives and how hard they worked to keep secrets of bad behavior. Could you imagine that today in our time of constant tabloid fodder, celebrity gossip blogs and reality shows? I am becoming more and more interested in the lives of early film stars and feel I am going to be spending some quality time with AMC here soon. And as for Crawford's supposed ill treatment of her children as accounted for in Mommie Dearest.....well......I guess we'll never really know. I, for one, am waaaay more interested in hearing about her on again, off again years long affair with Clark Gable. RrrrRRrrrrrr!
Comments