Skip to main content

Mare vs. Task

 In the HBO limited series multiverse, there are two series that link up perfectly in locale, subject matter and vibe: Mare of Easttown and Task.  


Now, it's not hard for me to go ahead and say Mare is my favorite and, I think, the better of the two shows.  The intricacy of this story and the acting are so good that I've watched it repeatedly.....even after the mystery was solved.  It kept me guessing right up until the very end and shocked me more than once.  I don't think I've ever seen anything with the lovely Kate Winslet that I didn't like (well......let's not talk about The Regime) and I'm thrilled that she has become an icon for women of my generation.


Task is a bit of a different animal, even though it is a very similar show.  Both shows rub up against Catholicism, the complicated struggles of family, giving and accepting trust in an untrusting world, and of course, the frailties of man against strong women.  

Weirdly, I don't find many of the characters of either show very loveable or endearing.  I find them relatable and very real, but not loveable.  Except of course for Mark Ruffalo as aging, paunchy FBI agent Tom Brandis.

Oh, yes.  Come to me you chubby little grey-haired sensitive widowed functional alcoholic!  I will fixt you!!!


I can't help it.....I've loved Mark ever since "13 Going on 30".  What self-respecting woman doesn't?  

The difficult family dynamics, tricky relationships and complicated parenthood truly define both shows......murder, drugs, and crime are basically flashy background.  Robbie is fractured but delicate.  Tom is strong and sensitive.  Mare is broken and guarded.  Lori, Bethy, Maeve, Carrie, etc are all hanging on by their fingernails.  They all question their choices and their god.  They all cry and pray secretly.  They all fight and curse openly.  

Watching the vulnerable little boys is always tough for me......Sam and Drew.  But that sweet vulnerable trust is more than necessary to advance these messy adult life plots.  

I remember crying in one place in each show.  

When Mare gets slapped by Colin's mother.

When Tom explains that confession is for people, not for god.

It's hard when you have to face and remember your mistakes.  And realize they never really go away.  Not for you, not for others.  Somehow, if you're lucky and healthy enough, you'll learn to live with them.  And hopefully have a chance to apologize and move forward.  If you can.

I guess at the end of the day that's what both these shows have in common: going on.  Surviving. Physically and emotionally.  Most of the time, the quiet emotional struggle is the hardest one.  And unfortunately, the one we all keeping working so hard to hide.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...

The Selfishness of My Grief

 I remember when Mrs. Patmore said this.  And it has played on repeat in my head for a week now. And I remember Daisy innocently asking "did it make you feel better?" And I can't remember what Mrs. Patmore's response was.  My guess is, she probably doesn't remember, but at the time, it was good enough. For a week now, I can't eat or sleep enough.  At first I was trying to stay medicated just to "get through it" until I realized it was making me feel scared and thoroughly paranoid.  A dear friend recommended I stay sober (at least through the funeral in 2 weeks) and another recommended I at least examine why I wanted to stay under the influence.  All of it good advice.  And everything, ISTG, everything has taken a Herculean effort.  Getting out of bed, thinking about dressing, actually dressing and Jesus H putting on makeup.  And don't get me started on driving. Nearly 1 week away from work, and I'm at least trying to show up for that. I just ...