Skip to main content

Radicalization

 There is a meme, and a general question in the air these days......what radicalized you?


It has become a joke, but for some of us, it's a very real question and one we have actually spent time on.  I'll gladly share my list from as early back as I can remember.  I first want to say how much I appreciate that my parents, local Charlotte radio and my elementary school and junior high school librarians didn't censor me.


It was reading James Baldwin, a gay man born in Harlem in the 1920's, before I was even 13.  Before I was even old enough to know what all of those qualities might mean.  It was not reading Richard Wright and Nikki Giovanni until I took an African American Lit class in my 30's with Dr. Alicia McCollough.  It was not until Barack was inaugurated.  It was not until Bernie stepped away from the podium for BLM speakers.  It was not until George Floyd.  It was not until Sonya Massey.  


It was reading Slaughterhouse-Five at age 12 and then devouring every book of Uncle Kurt's thereafter.  It was gaining an interest in war, especially Vietnam, and hearing my parents talk about the men who were "messed up" and "never right again" after coming back from Southeast Asia. It was going to a Native American college.  It was learning about AIM and Russell Means and listening to The Indigo Girls.  It was the Reagan and Bush presidencies.  It was Desert Storm.  It was the AIDS crisis that I was too young to even understand or hear about. It was Bono.  And The Troubles.  And the Berlin Wall.

It was not until I discovered Zach later in life.  And Joe Strummer.  And all the piss and vinegar for the upper class and The Man and how hard it was to make a living.  It was inflation and severe American inequity.  It was the Gilded Age and Robber Barons and the Vanderbilts and the Kardashians all those many, many so-called "real" housewives. It was getting divorced, twice. It was having a son with a disability.  It was growing up poor.  It was having teenage parents.  It was watching my grandmother die in a middle-grade nursing home.  It was A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and the vision of that old man with his old and dirty toes.


It was Alice Paul.  And Gloria.  And all the 1st through 4th Wave Feminists that came before and after me.  It was cries for trans rights, and LGBT freedoms and gay marriage, and protections for sex workers.  It was Anora, Boogie Nights and Iron-Jawed Angels.  It was Francine Hughes and my Marriage and Family sociology professor in college. It was Disco Demolition Night and Stonewall.  It was The Castro and my beautiful friend, Doug Newton.  It was Sarah Marshall and the many, many podcasts that followed the Pandemic.  



Recently my 21 year-old niece made her first ever political post.  And even though I was bummed as her aunt that she didn't seem to care about the overturn decision of Roe v. Wade or campus violence, I was glad to see that something was finally moving her.  Even if it was the death of a right-wing pot-stirrer. 



And there are some people who will claim they have never been radicalized, mainly because they don't know what it means or don't want to admit to any kind of influence.  But believe me, you were.  It was Bugs Bunny or the book and movie "The Help" or it was Oprah Winfrey on every day at 4 or it was Tom Brady or Madonna or Evel Knievel or 9/11 or the day your dad lost his job.  

Believe me.  It was somebody or something.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...