As an older single gal, I get advice from well-meaning people all the time. Of all that advice and observation, I think this might be one of the few books that really spoke to me.
Jane Juska did something revolutionary back in 2001. She wrote a book about being an older single woman who still wanted to have sex. The book was called "A Round-Heeled Woman" and it was powerful.
Imagine that!
Then she followed up with this book which more about how RHW came to be and what came after.
There are so many things I love about Jane. She is real and unapologetic. Modern but also rooted in polite tradition. I think I see myself in women like this. We understand what our current times are all about, but we still miss some old-fashioned tropes.
I love how Jane laments a man she's in love with even though she knows she shouldn't be. I love how she's not willing to give up exactly what she wants in a relationship. I love how she's still a romantic at heart. I love how age isn't a dealbreaker......lack of intellect is.
I have learned a lot from, ahem, mature dating.
1) Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has baggage.
2) While body issues never really disappear, they matter a lot less after about age 45.
3) Some of the game-players are even better at their craft 20 years in.
4) You can still get your heart broken. Even at this age.
5) Trust your instincts. My vibe never lies.
Even on my most lonely nights, I can't express how much I love the freedom of my single life. It is something I never expected at age 50. And for now, it ain't half bad.

Comments