Skip to main content

I Blame Kurt Vonnegut

 I started writing when I was a young girl.  In elementary school I wrote poems and stories and some of them were even published locally.  I had a wild imagination, but in my heart I wanted to be a reporter some day.

I blame Kurt Vonnegut.


When I was about 15 I read my first Vonnegut book, Slaughterhouse-Five.  And it's wild and brilliant and insane and we all know it's a classic.  But the thing I remember most was what Uncle Kurt said about the female reporters during WWII.  He said they were the best.  Relentless.  That they worked way harder than the men and were way better.  

That's what I wanted to be.  I wanted to go to NYU and study journalism.  I wanted to be Christiane Amanpour, Barbara Walters, Lois Lane!  I wanted to know all the things before anyone else knew.  I wanted a sign-off on the nightly news like Walter Cronkite......"and that's the way it is."

Well......needless to say......all that did not happen.

My parents didn't want me to go all the way to NYU.  I settled for a small college in my home state and soon learned I didn't like newspaper work.  You had to fight your way in.  You had to be loud.  Annoying.  You had to bug people.  You had to be nosey.  I know this might come as a shock to people who know me personally, but I didn't like all that.

I also didn't like the creativity you had to give up as a writer.  As a reporter, you were looking for the 5 W's....just the facts.  As a creative writer or fiction writer, your mind had no limits.  

Over the years, I've still contributed non-fiction pieces here and there to local papers and online magazines.  I've written record reviews and covered local events.  And while I still feel like my heart is in my creative fiction, I have never given up the fun and enjoyment I have of research.  I love doggedly following the trail and getting the straight dope on a person, a rumor, an idea.  The internet almost makes it too easy.  Sometimes I miss pulling at all that microfiche!

Coworkers and friends do still sometimes come to me to help them get to the bottom of local gossip, find the underground music news, and put the pieces together.  I kinda like being known for that.  I guess a curious woman never sleeps. 


I still think about Uncle Kurt all the time though.  I wonder what he would think of how journalism has changed, blogging, reality shows, Substack, online publishing and the like.  I wonder what he would think of our state of the world, of our politics and our American decline.  

Then again, I think I know exactly what he would think and say.  Everyone say it with me, once again with harmony: so it goes........

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...