Skip to main content

Gaston County Public Library: A Love Letter

 The closest thing to a church or a sacred space I've ever had is probably one of three places: my backyard, my house and my local public library.  

It might sound crazy, but those really are the favorite and safest places of my life.  And it's funny.....I didn't even realize how much the library meant to me until recently.  



I've been lucky enough to live in the same town and going to the same library all my life.  I remember my uncle taking my big sister and me to get library cards.  I was probably about seven.  I remember the first book I checked out: Robert the Rose Horse.



Since then I've studied there, worked on term papers, gone to book sales, taken my son there, had quiet time, and maybe even cried there a time or too.  I remember once asking a guy I met on Bumble to meet me there for our first date.  I thought it would be cute to say we met at the library.  It didn't work out, but I still remember that date and the meeting fondly.  I hope he does too.



And it's kinda funny....how many pics I've taken there over the years.  



I've taken nearly as many pictures there as a person would on vacation or at a concert or out on their boats.  And probably for the same reason.  I wanted to remember the feelings I had there.  The good vibe that made me feel calm and assured.



I also wanted to remember the peaceful evenings and quiet mornings that I shared at home with my books.  The lovely books that library provided to me.



So many times.  So many beverages.  So many books!






There's just something about GCPL.  There's something very calming about the place to me.  And not just because it's quiet.  But I sure have spent a lot of time there just thinking......writing.....staring off into space.....looking and listening.  I feel this sense of contentment when I'm there....even if I only buzz in and out again with an armful of books.  

I even won and lost at Quiz Bowl there!



And oh the books.....let's not forget the books!





I often get so many they won't fit my bag!  I just can't go to a device like Kindle or audio listening.  I just can't!  Those modern conveniences just don't give me the same kind of peace.  The familiar cozy up with the spine and pages that my fingers crave.  The rows and rows of knowledge that are there for the taking.  The ability to borrow a book on pretty much any subject I crave.  


This is probably going to sound almost pitiful.  

But when you get to be my age, there have been a lot of hurts.  Disappointments.  Trauma.  Don't get me wrong, I've had a lot of successes and good times too.  But there's something about that nice cool building with its rows and rows and stacks and stacks of information.  It's solid.  It's trustworthy.  The library doesn't judge you.  It doesn't let you down.  And even if you stay gone a long time, it always welcomes you back.  

It's a home of sorts.  A respite.  And I hope it never goes away.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...