I will readily admit that I have really gone back and forth on my feelings about the S&TC reboot, "And Just Like That". I absolutely HATED the first season. I was so shocked when Big died, that I honestly cried out "goddamm!"
And at first, I was really mad about this unexpected plot twist. Until I remembered what Carrie is all about. Carrie is about chasing love and finding herself. Carrie is about self-reflection. Carrie, like the infamous Don Draper, is about ennui.
(Quick aside, do you think Don Draper is a little bit like Mr. Big? Discuss. Then imagine Carrie with Don. It's not a tough leap if you think about it.)
But on with our story here. Carrie is a thinker. She's always up in her head. If she's happily married, that's hard to do. What kind of content do you have to play with? Carrie chasing after something she can't have is all we know. Even in the S&TC movies. (But that is a WHOLE other post really. I have such a love/hate relationship with both those movies. The biggest problem I have with the second one is the over-the-top plot and the ridiculous desert fashion.)
But anyhoots. Back to the present and "And Just Like That....."
John James Preston dies and I manage to make my peace with that. But it's hard to make peace with that shitty first season. Sure there are some amazing character additions, (I friggin love Nicole Ari Parker) but the first season plot lines are so transparent as the show tries to update and remain relevant.
But here in the second season, something interesting is beginning to happen. Carrie's brief relationship with Franklyn is rather cute. Miranda realizing she may have made some bad and frivolous choices is cool, and well Charlotte.....is still Charlotte. But the other ladies having more important plot points is fabulous! Che getting knocked on their ass, Nya going through a divorce and reemergence as a single gal, and the evolving life of Lisa and Herbert (uh, yum) have become the best parts of the show.
And now I realize THIS is about to happen:
Touche, Carrie Bradshaw. Touche indeed.





Comments