I waited a loooong time before I was ready to give this film a try since it was and continues to be one of my all-time favorite novels. The film was really beautiful too....full of beautiful people, beautiful landscapes and language and of course the effervescent Regina King who won the Academy Award for her performance here.
My only problem was the ending because it's so skewed from the book, and in my opinion, all wrong.
I don't know how exactly I discovered Tish and Fonny. I know I was a teenager, and I know I must have checked that book out from the library about 20 times. Their world was one that was very different from mine and was full of hurt and pain but also so much love and beauty. It spoke to me then and still does. My advice? Read the book first then see the film. And then read the book again. And again and again and again......
