Skip to main content

Autumn & Old Girls

(Re-post from 2010 that is sadly still relevant and ongoing.  Sigh.)

Today I went and read a blog of an old friend of mine. This is something I haven't done in some months because it always upset me so much to see how much she hated me and still carried a huge hurt due to things that happened between us. I was glad to see as I read that she seems to have healed....or at least for as much as she is comfortable sharing.

I was glad to see that.

I have come to terms with the loss of friends that I will never get back after my divorce. The divorce wasn't the reason, at least I don't think it was, it was the catalyst. Well, it was the spotlight on things they, and I, didn't want to see. Once you see it, you can't unsee it.

I know that I will forever miss those girls and will always wish them the best in my heart. If I hear good things about them, their kids, their lives.....I will be glad. But I won't seek out to find it. I don't know when or if I'll ever be ready for that again. They will drift, and so will I. And I will let that happen.

I had another loss of a friend much more recently which has also damaged me quite a bit mainly because she helped so much in coping with the loss of the others. I know she and I won't talk again either. Another blow. But I'll wish her the best too. And I might still wish to talk to her someday to tell her how much her support meant when I really needed it. I'll have to wait and see on that.

I was starting to think I was the only woman that went through things like this until I really started reading and listening to other women talk about friendships. It's actually pretty common, it seems. That doesn't make me feel better about it, but I guess knowing we're all company in our misery is worth something.

But on a completely different note, the nostalgia that fall brings out in me is always welcome. Remembering my school days, early relationship with E-Roc (20 years!!!) and even on up to Little Boy's little days has really lifted my heart.

I'm starting to be able to reminisce about times together, conversations, trips, and all the rest with those girls as well. They are becoming like old romances.....softening the hard tips with time. I still don't look at old photos, but I don't throw them away either.

Softening, softening. Fading in my heart and mind like a distant warmth instead of a searing gash. Softening, softening.

I hope these girls, and anyone else out there like us, is holding onto this new peaceful time and letting the past slip on out like me. It's hard to do, but so worth it....

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...