This is a pretty good book that kept me entertained through some cold weather recently. It's perfect for anyone that has reconnected with the past, has gone through divorce and is maybe just a little more clever than most everyone around them. I kid.....but only a little. There's a certain kind of snarkiness that runs through this novel that is instantly recognizable in certain stereotypes of people: rich white real estate investors, older white gay males, fifty-something potheads, university intellectuals and the types of folks who live in East Coast tourist towns. Read it, and you'll see what I mean.
I think my favorite part of the book is the diatribe tough-as-nails realtor Renata lays down on her Uber driver about how everything today seems more fake than when she was young like veganism vs. macrobiotics and aerobics vs. pilates. I know it says a lot about me that I like that little dialogue, but there you go.
I was intrigued when I learned that this author also wrote The Object of My Affection. I loved the film but never read the book. It made me wonder if all his books featured a kind and honest gay man strangely paired with a flawed hetero woman. I guess I will have to study this further. Stay tuned......
