To continue my late to the party love affair with Anne Tyler, slowed down a few weeks ago to read this gem and was once again grateful for a gracious author that begs us all to slow down! This book really makes you stop and think about aging, about chances, about life passing you by. Come to think of it, most all of Anne Tyler's books make you think of that! It sounds like a downer, but it's really not. There's something soothing and warm about Tyler's characters and how their dilemmas don't really feel like dilemmas but are still so relatable. Every one of her books feels like it was written in a simpler time to me, even though that time is now. I don't know how she does it, but I feel like I owe Barnaby and Anne a big thanks for this one!
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...
