It's not easy to pull off a good ole Western these days.....people are too fascinated by the future dystopia or medieval sword play to give the American west much thought. I think that's probably what happened with this updated version of the original 1960 movie because nobody, absolutely nobody wrote or talked about it when it was released last year. I watched it on Hulu mainly for the mens.....cuz it's got some good ones......but I did actually think it was a good movie in the end. There's nothing profound about it since it has the typical good versus evil you would expect. It also brings in some historical context: how incredible it would be to see a black cowboy in the 1870's, how men were still torn up from the Civil War (and yes, it is referred to as The War of Northern Aggression) and how America was just beginning to be run by the so-called "robber baron" at the time. Not a fantastic movie, but not a bad way to spend a Saturday night either. Oh, did I mention the mens????
PS: it would've been a waaaay better film if they had just inserted the awesome Clash song somewhere. JS.
PS: it would've been a waaaay better film if they had just inserted the awesome Clash song somewhere. JS.
