This was a particularly appropriate gift since this book and I both just turned 40, and it is another check off I can put to the list of great books I didn't read as a kid. And it's a good thing too because I don't think this would have meant as much to me as a child. Never growing old? Never dying? Pretty heady stuff for a kids book but also really beautiful.
And it goes really well with an experience I had over my birthday/Valentines weekend.
I was in a quiet used bookstore browsing and listening, not eavesdropping, to a conversation being had by an older couple of friends. A woman probably in her 50's was chatting with a man at least in his 60's about all sorts of topics from flying small planes to working in a coal mine. The woman asked the man if he had worn glasses back when he was flying small planes to which he replied "oh, no....I was a young man then.....just in my forties......"
Now I haven't had a lot of qualms about turning 40, but I sometimes believe we are put in places for special reasons and hear and see just what we need.
So I appreciated hearing that, just as I appreciated reading this book. One day in the future, turning 40 will seem as significant or insignificant as turning 16 or 21 or 30. At least I hope so.
And it goes really well with an experience I had over my birthday/Valentines weekend.
I was in a quiet used bookstore browsing and listening, not eavesdropping, to a conversation being had by an older couple of friends. A woman probably in her 50's was chatting with a man at least in his 60's about all sorts of topics from flying small planes to working in a coal mine. The woman asked the man if he had worn glasses back when he was flying small planes to which he replied "oh, no....I was a young man then.....just in my forties......"
Now I haven't had a lot of qualms about turning 40, but I sometimes believe we are put in places for special reasons and hear and see just what we need.
So I appreciated hearing that, just as I appreciated reading this book. One day in the future, turning 40 will seem as significant or insignificant as turning 16 or 21 or 30. At least I hope so.

Comments