I would like to say I loved this movie, but it was really quite mediocre. And this makes me sad because I love pretty much anything Michael Showalter has anything to do with, so I thought I'd LOVE this. The premise is pretty funny, and when you realize the film is spoofing You've Got Mail, Jerry Maguire, The Baxter, When Harry Met Sally, Forget Paris and probably several other rom-coms I'm forgetting you can't help but think it's genius. But then it just falls terribly short and just isn't very funny. And I have a hard time forgiving David Wain and Showalter for that Bubby scene. I'm gonna be mind-bleaching that one for a while.
This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there. But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations. I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time. I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it! I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry. I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

Comments