Skip to main content

Netflix Pick: Noah

 
A lot of folks didn't like this Hollywood spin on the Old Testament story of a man and the great flood.  And I can tell you exactly why. 
 
From the very beginning, this movie looks more like science fiction than the biblical story we all know.  But if you can suspend some deeply held feelings and see some things in a new light with a little creativity, you may get something out of this movie.
 
But it is dark.  Very dark in some places.  There is also a very strong message of environmentalism and support of the scientific theory of evolution. 
 
And no, it does not follow the Genesis story much at all. 
 
It would take too long to break this movie down when you already know the basic plot, but I will try to put it simply.  If any of the following phrases, pieces, memes, shows, art, music, books, culture or iconography mean anything to you, there will be something for you in this movie:
 
Ireland; The Middle East; Middle Earth; Hieronymus Bosch; Adam & Eve; Mork & Mindy; God; Allah; Luke and Leia; Wacken Open Air; The Ten Commandments; The Big Bang Theory; Contact; Charlton Heston; Morgan Freeman; County Cork; Hawaii; Indonesia; Michael McDonald; beards; Lord of the Rings; Harry Potter; Hermoine; Yoda; The Hunger Games; Survivor; American Idol; Norwegian Black Metal; Vikings; Epcot Center; Malcolm X; Woodstock; CSNY; gardening; garden center; Home Depot; trees; tree hugger; hippies; Al Gore; Anthropologie; twins; Danny DeVito; Arnold Schwarzenegger; King Diamond; Robin Hood; Kevin Costner; water; lots of water; bad things happening in water; Water World.
 
And if none of that makes sense, just see it for yourself.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...