Skip to main content

A Lot Can Happen in 30.....or Even Just 3 Years




Do you ever think about the things you loved as a kid? The music? The clothes? The friends? Chances are, all those things have changed over time. You're lucky if you still keep in touch with your grade school friends (even with the advent of FB) and you wouldn't even want to put on the clothes you wore back then! To me, music is something that has always been more enduring. Your tastes might change, but in most cases, you will always love your first love.

Boy, do I know about that.

E-Roc and I were recently comparing the ebb and flow and changes in the careers of two of our favorite bands: REM and U2. They've both changed so much that sometimes you don't even think you're talking about the same bands anymore. But is that always a bad thing?

Take U2 for example.....

Their first American single was "I Will Follow" and then of course they had the great unforgettable songs like "Sunday Bloody Sunday" and "New Year's Day". To those of us that love the post-punk new-wave sound, there may not be anything better.

But then there was The Joshua Tree, which I must say, might very well the be Dark Side and Sergeant Pepper's of my generation. There were so many great songs on Joshua......"With or Without You", "In God's Country", "Bullet the Blue Sky", and my personal all-time favorite song "Where the Streets Have No Name".

And along with Joshua we got the great concert/tour movie Rattle and Hum which goes even further to show how much and just why we loved U2. Now I'll admit many years later that some parts of it may slide into the pretentious (like most bands do once they hit a certain peak of success) but what can't be denied are the performances.....Bono howling on "Bad" and hearing B.B. King tell him he's very young to write lyrics so "deep".

As years went by U2 continued to have a lot of songs I loved like "One" and "Beautiful Day". But I would have to admit that I'm not altogether familiar with their newer material. I still like the old stuff.....and when I say old I mean anything from 1980-2000.

I've never been one that had a problem with bands that grow and change....I feel like I can always hold onto their old stuff even if I didn't grow and change with them. And isn't that kind of what life is like? Some people, some situations, some places, some times....you just outgrow each other. It's not bad....it just.....is.

But I like to always keep an eye and ear open for U2 or any other band from my young life to come back, surprise me and make music sound new again. It's a lot like love. It's different every time. And every time you experience it, you're lucky to have had the chance. Sometimes the hardest part is making yourself buy the ticket or the CD. You keep wondering if you'll really like it or if it will be a waste of money or will it be anything like what you loved before.

Yes, you'll really like it.

No, it won't be a waste of money.

No, it won't be anything like what you loved before.

And that's the beauty of it. Sometimes you have to just buy the ticket. Just take that leap of faith. Just ask the question. And just say yes.

Take it from Bono:

Touch me
Take me to that other place
Reach me
I know I'm not a hopeless case

It's never too late. Not for anything.

Popular posts from this blog

Reclaiming Your Childhood: Priceless

 This story might take a minute to tell. Bear with me. When my sister and I were little girls, my mother took us to a large baptist church in town. Even as a child, I never remember feeling welcome there.  But I do remember the lovely older couple that kept my Sunday School class. They gave us saltines and kool-aid, and I remember thinking they would be nice grandparents to have. At Christmastime, the Sunday School class was set to have a random gift exchange. Every child was supposed to bring a gift that could be exchanged with any other child.....no specific gift designations.  I received the gift of an Avon 7 bead necklace which was very popular at the time.  I loved it so much and was thrilled to have it!  I was somewhere between 5 and 7 at the time. (Back in the 1970's and 80's, Avon was a cosmetic company that was also known for it's inexpensive jewelry.  I couldn't find a price on what this necklace would have cost back then, but apparently there is ...

My Week with Rumor

 My dog Rumor was an experiment.  A trial offer.  And all parties knew that going in.  Except for maybe Rumor. Rumor was an outdoor country dog.  His given name was Ruger (named after a firearm if you don't know, I didn't) which made sense for a dog raised in hunting country.  He was a stray that came to live with a loving family at about the age of 1.  He lived outdoors, slept in a garage crate at night, frolicked with an older dog pack and had a lovely life. We think he was about 4 years old.  He had been neutered, had vet care and was by no means a "rescue". His dad offered Ruger to me on a give-it-a-try basis.  He knew I wanted a dog. He told me Ruger would be sweet to me and also be my protector.  He was right on both counts.  He told me if it didn't work out, I could bring Ruger back to him and his wife.  I could tell they were a little sad when they dropped him off.  It made me glad to see that Ruger came from such ...

NYE for $200, Alex

 Can we all just agree that New Year's Eve is the worst of the string of winter holidays?  I would even go so far as saying it's THE WORST of all the holidays.  I loved when Stanford Blatch defined a party as feeling very "forced festive".  To me, most NYE parties feel that way.  The idea that this is a big year-end blow-out and we'd all damn well better make it awesome! The reason I hate NYE is because it combines two of things I most hate about celebrations: cold weather and crowds.  Plus it's during a time of year when everyone has already spent all their money.  AND you usually have to the leave the house.  ADDITIONALLY, you have to stay up late.  It's a big F.U. from me on all this.   I would dare say that some of my happiest New Year's memories have been spent at home in my pajamas with either my child, an S.O. or happily alone.  I remember one unforgettable year of moving into a 3rd floor apartment on NYE.  I rememb...