Okay, so y'all know I'm always late to the party. This series originally debuted on the History Channel in 2018, but I only just discovered it on Hulu. Look.....I never claimed to be John Fremont, okay?
I don't know what it was about school history back in the 80's and 90's, but I don't remember much about what happened in America after the Civil War. Or in the period between the American Revolution and the Civil War. Especially if it happened on the West Coast.
Geez. My history education is pretty poor now that I think about it. Most everything I've learned has been through reading and documentaries. All I know is the voices of Campbell Scott and Peter Coyote sound like old friends at this point.
And I'm as shocked as anyone to realize I am now enamored with Kit Carson.
Kit Carson. A man known for his aggressive violence and fearlessness. Also known for his intelligence and skill as a trapper and trail finder. He basically helped open up and create the new American West of the early to mid 1800's.
So that's the Christopher Houston Carson that we learn about in this documentary. He's a great man, and I might love him a little bit. But who I really love is the kid who portrays him in this series: Nathan Stevens.
There is just something about the way this young actor portrays the reserved tenacity of Kit Carson. You can imagine his torn up feet and delusional brain as he wanders the desert. Yet he doesn't hesitate to accept the next order or volunteer for the next mission. This guy's eyes, the slight shake of his head.....you can tell Kit is tired, but he's not about to stop.
And that can be said for the entire cast of this exhilarating series. Hell, it even almost makes me respect Presidents Jackson and Polk. Almost.
Give it a look if you were raised with an East Coast bias and didn't even know it, enjoy history and learning for its own sake or just want to look at some handsome and beardy 18th and 19th century dudes.
And also Steve Inskeep!
That's right! The host of NPR's Morning Edition has also written a few books about this time period. So to hear his voice suddenly talking about Andrew Jackson was like a shock to my system.
Crushes on Steve Inskeep and Kit Carson simultaneously.....whudu thunk it?




Comments