I so enjoyed this biopic about Lee Israel except it reminded me so much of a person in my life who basically acts exactly like Lee Israel.....and not in a good way!
The cast is what makes this film. Jane Curtin is fantastic. Her scathing criticism and advice to Lee are perfect: "You can be an asshole when you're famous. Right now stop being such a bitch." Yes, sister.
And I have loved Richard E. Grant ever since his roles in "Age of Innocence" and "Gosford Park". This movie honestly wouldn't have been as good without his insolent boyishness.
Melissa McCarthy is really great in a serious role. She really embodies it in such a way that you can really love and hate her all at once. In real life she seems to sweet and down-to-earth. I hope I never find out that's not true.
I agreed with Lee's not really contrite mea culpa when she was in court. She said she really didn't regret what she did and felt it was some of her best work. It may have well been. And does it really matter if a few people got forged letters from long-dead literary wits? I doubt it. A collectible is only a collectible if you think it is. Who really gets hurt here? Some too-rich pretentious literary types who want to hang a framed letter in their guest bath? Not too big of a deal, if you ask me. I also think Dorothy Parker and Noel Coward would kinda love the idea of this very thing happening. A forged letter in a gilt frame by a porcelain sink with monogrammed towels? Priceless!
